Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Paint by "Numbers" - DIY Cornhole Boards!

Yet another wonderful Christmas present that I crafted (or well.. partially crafted!)

This is more of a partial craft rather than a DIY.  The expense to buy the wood, power tools and nails/etc. was equal or more than purchasing a pre-crafted set from: Cornhole Express.  The individual here made the quickly and very sturdy!  If you're in North Carolina and you want a good set of Cornhole boards (purchase or for rent) you can get them here!

So I purchased and I painted! I took a general look at these guys here: Cornhole How To to help with a basis of what I would need and how I would need to do it!

What you'll need (without making them yourself):

  1. Set of pre-fabricated wooden cornhole boards
  2. Wood filler and Sand paper (medium) (only if your maker did not do this for you)
  3. Paint brushes and paint rollers (there is a great set at Home Depot for around $10) 
  4. Pint of Wood Primer; I used grey because the nice man at the store told me it is the easiest to cover over
  5. Paint! I actually used Gilden paint samples (5 different ones: scarlet (x2), grey, black and white) and it was enough. Which is great! They are very cheap (about $4 a piece for a sample rather than a pint/quart)
  6. Painter's Tape is a must 
  7. Ruler 
  8. Something to hold your boards off the ground; I used plastic cups
  9. A general idea of how you want your painted boards to finish
  10. Logo/decal to put on your boards, if you'd like one
  11. 1 pint polyurethane



Fill any wood holes and sand down. Prime your board and let it dry! I did this the weekend before I painted because I had to paint them at my mom's house (my apartment just didn't make the bill.)


Now start the painting! I laid down the general basis for the grey first, as the nice man said it was the easiest to cover.


Let that dry fully. Put the painter's tape down and throw another layer of paint on top of the last layer! 


Then through the white on top of the same tape.


I had to only pull the side layers of tape off because I had an extra layer of paint to add. The black was difficult but I managed (but did not take a picture of the extra layer of tape I had to lay down.)



The final paint results were great! I was super happy. My mom really helped me get everything straight. You cannot have crooked cornhole board paint! That just throws the whole game off. 


 Make sure you put your decal on before the polyurethane.  Put a good coating of polyurethane over the top, let dry then add another coat.


My boyfriend loved them as a present (at least he said he did!) And very simple to paint. I'm sure the crafting of the actual board sets was a bit difficult, but Cornhole Express is here to help that in North Carolina (and a few other states, I believe.) 




2 comments:

  1. what a great craft and love your choice of decorating. O-H! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I-O! :) Thank you. My boyfriend and I are very excited for the championship game on Monday!

      Delete

I appreciate any and all feedback. Don't be afraid!